Plan for 7 Areas of Life – Best-Self Leadership:
- Public seminars on plan and lead in life: 250 months
- Workshops on Goals and Resolutions: 25 years
- Guest lectures in college classes: 30+
- Guest teaching in school classes: 10+
- Civic club presentations: 50+
- Planbooks (workbooks) downloaded/distributed: 1000+
Patriotism – Freedom – Veterans Day Founding Education:
- Personal Leadership for Patriots: annual events since “9-11” (2001)
- Tribute to the Founder of Veterans Day: annual event since 2006
- Led campaign for U.S. Senate Resolution for the State of Alabama 2012
- Governor’s Proclamation, Alabama
- Mayor’s Proclamation, Birmingham
- Wrote and published Patriotism in Action
- Web site with free online resources for Veterans Day Founding History
Recent Results 2017-19
Web site and online resources free for the teachers, students, public:
- Life Leaders applied for and received a nonprofit grant (non cash) for Google Ads credit to reach more people offering free digital public resources such as lesson plans, books, planbooks, and other resources for teachers, students, veterans.
- Google ads created thousands of impressions and visits to key web pages offering planbooks on Plan for School and Life, Goals and Resolutions, Assessment of Attitude and Ability, Financial Fitness, Veterans Day Founding Education handouts and video, and free subscriptions to our Journal with useful information and inspiration.
- Web site added free resources for teachers, students, and others. We need to keep improving as a state and national resource to reach more people than we could when speaking at programs.
- Journal (blog) provides positive information and inspiration for subscribers at no charge.
- Improved and re-published Achieve Your Goals and Resolutions.
- Improved and re-published Financial Fitness (tools for assessment and plan) presented at the Leadership Conference at Troy University.
- Improved and re-published the Veterans Day Founded in Alabama poster for teachers and National Veterans Day guests.
Presentations and Events:
- Calera: Hosted our first Ranch Day requested by Camp Rockhurst serving students from the Rosedale Community (ages 6-12) and adults (led by Terry Slaughter). They focused on developing Life Leadership with courage to try new things and discussed plans for life in a program complementing a horse clinic, fishing, hiking, and a picnic.
- Personal Leadership for Patriots at the Southern Museum of Flight: serving 100-200 veterans, student cadets, families, along with key organizations Alabama National Cemetery, American Village….
- Tribute to the Founder of National Veterans Day: Raymond Weeks Monument, Linn Park, Birmingham.
- Montgomery campus of Troy University: workshop on setting and achieving Goals and Resolutions (boost student success).
- Troy University: workshop on Goals and Resolutions boosting student success and to improve graduation rates.
- Troy University and City of Troy Leadership Conference celebrating Black History Month: designed/presented Financial Fitness seminar.
- Veterans Celebration and Veterans Day Education presentation with Troy for Troops and the College of Education: Nov. 9, 2017. Dr. David Dyson co-presented with Chancellor Dr. Jack Hawkins.
Dr. Dyson speaking to 4th graders in Hoover
Co-hosted by 10-year old great granddaughters of Raymond Weeks.
Their teacher had been providing lessons that Veterans Day started in another state until she learned Veterans Day started in Birmingham.
Results Led by Life Leaders since 1988 Founding
Best-Self Leadership + Plan for School and Life…
- Provided 250+ public events in the Birmingham Area on planning, leadership, patriotism (averaging one per month since 1992)…
- Organized the first lecture in Alabama of Dr. Stephen Covey, author of the best-selling book on personal leadership (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) hosted at Birmingham-Southern College. Key sponsors: BellSouth, Alabama Power, Parisian, Protective Life, Southern Company Services. Also presented Dr. Ken Blanchard (One Minute Manager…), Mr. Hyrum Smith (Where Eagles Rest), and Dr. Denis Waitley (Psychology of Winning).
Dr. Berte, Dr. Covey, Dr. Dyson 1993
- Developed models, articles, and best practices for Personal Leadership, True Professionalism, and Best-Self Leadership.
- Developed teaching models on the 7 Areas of Life, Empowerment, Hierarchy of Motivating Values, 7 Levels of Leadership, Leadership Best Practices, The Purpose of Life, Set Achievable Resolutions, plus assessments of T.I.M.E., Attitude & Ability, Financial Fitness….
- Launched the Plan for School and Life and Plan for College and Life initiative to promote people planning and improving plus to help educators help students write and internalize plans needed for college, career, citizenship, boosting graduation rates.
- Provided Veterans Making Comebacks (recently homeless) planbooks & workshops to assess & develop plans to Master Goliaths in a year-long program at a veterans center, plus coached a young Marine to present plans to the Veterans Court Judge and graduate “drug court.”
- Longest-running organization in Alabama advancing Planning for Life publications and presentations.
Wrote and published Patriotism in Action after the “9-11” attacks on America, which we have donated to the National Veteran of the Year, National Veterans Day, schools, and state tourism.
Patriotism in Action + Freedom to Flourish
After the “9-11” attacks on America in 2001, the Personal Leadership Association expanded to add Patriotism in Action, National Veterans Day Founding History and Character Education, and Freedom Lives, changing the name to Life Leaders America:
- Wrote and published Patriotism in Action, (Dyson & Dunn) a patriotic guide featuring the history of starting National Veterans Day in Alabama plus 10 character traits teachers can use with students.
- Wrote and published Professionalism Under Stress (Dunn & Dyson) to organize lessons from college, corporate, combat for use in military and civilian life for true professionals, emerging leaders, and mentors.
- Organize annually the Tribute to the Founder (“Driving Force” per President Reagan) of Veterans Day, Nov. 10, Birmingham (first event event added to National Veterans Day traditions since 1947), held at the Weeks Monument in Linn Park, 2006-
- Led the campaign of education and legislation that restored Alabama’s legacy for starting America’s Veterans Day in 1947 by gaining U.S. Senate Resolution in 2012–correcting an errant resolution in 2003 by Congress that left Alabama out.
- Initiated the Advance Alabama campaign as the only state to have led on both of the national movements for Veterans Day and Civil Rights (Freedom of Liberty and Rights) as well as Birmingham’s opportunity to brand for “Freedom City” in addition to “Magic City” before the World Games 2021. Freedom to Flourish follows Freedom of Liberty and Rights when we teach students “how” and help them write plans for school and life to implement.
Organizational Development History Summary
- Institute launched 1988 after Dr. David Dyson completed doctoral studies in educational leadership at Vanderbilt University (research, publication, service) to advance Best-Self Leadership and Plans for Life in places of home, school, work, and worship
- Launched learning and improvement interest group with Johnny Johnson, Birmingham-Southern College VP Business, Summer 1991
- Founded Personal Leadership Association and expanded to monthly seminars and volunteerism for public, January 1992
- Incorporated with board of trustees, 1992
- Launched Patriotism in Action, Veterans Day Education, and Freedom Lives after “September 11” attacks on America, 2001
- 501 (c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization serving America based in Alabama since 2012 (expedited aided by Congressman Bachus).