Because of Life Leaders and partners, the images below represent real progress in recent years and provide a foundation to Empower Citizens and Advance Alabama even more going forward.
1. We have Freedom to Flourish
Less than 10% in Alabama, less than 50% in Birmingham, and less than 1% nationally know the movements for founding the U.S. national holiday Veterans Day and the Civil Rights Movement launched in Birmingham and Alabama. Should students across the nation, especially those in Birmingham and Alabama, know this history and the inspiring stories of people who flourished at their callings persevering through challenges?
2. We can PLAN and LEAD in LIFE as our best-selves
Birmingham and Alabama schools can help our future citizens “be, know, and do” with inspiration to flourish, plans for school and life, and best-self leadership resulting in improved attitude, attendance, and achievement.
Which of these do you want to see happen? want to support?
Do you want us to help teachers inspire students to know “why” we are free to flourish (founding city of Veterans Day, cradle of Civil Rights Movement…) with lesson plans, handouts, videos and more?
Do you wish more students (maybe more of us) got taught principles and practices of “how” to flourish?
Do you wish more students wrote how they can take “action” to flourish in their “plans” for school & life?
Do you believe veterans making comebacks from homelessness, injury, or re-entry from war could do better if their service organizations helped them outline plans with goals and solutions to challenges?
Do you believe Birmingham and Alabama should focus more on our national contributions to freedom through education, inspiring citizens, and tourism–now and as we prepare for hosting the World Games?
The Daniel Foundation of Alabama pledged $20,000 as a matching grant to support the work of Life Leaders and partners. The $20,000 became $40,000 because of new donations.
Case Statement and Call for Partners
Life Leaders felt called to “stand in the gap” when we learned Birmingham and Alabama had opportunities needing action. For 10 years, we did as much as we could as volunteers and made lots of recommendations to busy administrators—we got “thank you” letters though, honestly, not much happened. In 2012, we decided we needed to serve and lead to get the jobs done. We became a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit, hired a director, started developing programs and services, and seeking partner funding. We are pleased to report the progress above though believe we can do more for city, state, and citizens if we earn more trust with you and more partners. Without more focused action, little more will change. We need to serve, lead, and help for at least a few more years to get programs in place that can sustain. We need your advocacy, advice, and assistance financially to finish the mission.
Primary Financial Partners 2012-2016
- Alabama Power Company
- Alabama Power Foundation
- Caring Foundation of Blue Cross of Alabama
- Daniel Foundation of Alabama
- City of Birmingham
- Mike and Gillian Goodrich Foundation
- Welch Hornsby
- Troy University donated studio time and technical talent for radio and TV PSAs plus a television interview.
- Lamar Outdoor donated billboard space. Others donated equipment, shirts/promotional material.
- Family of Raymond Weeks and a few veterans donated in 2012 to help us restore his legacy as founder.
- Friends helping: Birmingham Convention Bureau, Lowego Apparel, PCI Endowment, and Southern Museum of Flight Individual Members of Life Leaders Association donate to support public seminars and events monthly.
You Can Help Us to DO These Priorities with Advocacy, Action, Funding
- Public Seminars / Association Members and Volunteers / Radio, TV, PSAs, online media
- Plan for School and Life / Freedom to Flourish
- Veterans Making Comebacks
- Freedom Lives / Freedom City
- Patriotism in Action
- Veterans Day Education
…and more! Please see the priority goals at left. We can provide possibilities by sharing the Life Leaders Plan.