Recent Results and Services 2017-18
Web site and online resources free to teachers and students, veterans, and more citizens:
- Life Leaders applied for and received a nonprofit grant for Google Ads providing up to $10,000 monthly to reach more people to offer lesson plans, publications, and other resources in the State and Nation.
- Google ads created thousands of impressions and visits to key web pages offering planbooks on Goals and Resolutions, Assessment of Attitude and Ability, Financial Fitness, Veterans Day Education handouts and video, and free subscriptions to our Journal.
- Web site added free new or improved resources focused on Plan for School and Life, Best-Self Leadership, Veterans Day Founding Ed….
- Journal (blog) provides positive information and inspiration for subscribers at no cost.
- Improved and re-published Achieve Your Goals and Resolutions.
- Improved and re-published Financial Fitness (tools for assessment and plan) presented at the Leadership Conference at Troy University.
- Improved and re-published the Veterans Day Founded in Alabama poster with over 100 going to teachers through Troy University.
Presentations and Events:
- Montgomery campus of Troy University: workshop January 31 on setting and achieving Goals and Resolutions (boost student success).
- Troy University: workshop January 18 on Goals and Resolutions boosting student success and graduation.
- Troy University and City of Troy Leadership Conference celebrating Black History Month: Financial Fitness seminar.
- Life Leaders at Lunch: Birmingham Area, December 2017.
- Personal Leadership for Patriots at the Southern Museum of Flight: November 2017.
- Tribute to the Founder of National Veterans Day: Birmingham, November 10, 2017.
- Co-presented the Veterans Celebration and Veterans Day Education presentation with Troy for Troops and College of Education: Nov. 9, 2017.
Results Led by Life Leaders since 1988 Launch
Best-Self Leadership + Plan for School and Life…
- Provided 250+ public events on planning, leadership, patriotism (averaging one per month since 1992)…including 3 national programs (Dr. Stephen Covey, Dr. Ken Blanchard, Mr. Hyrum Smith, and Dr. Denis Waitley).
- Organized the first lecture in Alabama of Dr. Stephen Covey, author of the best-selling book on personal leadership, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, hosted at Birmingham-Southern College, 1993.
- Developed models, articles, and best practices for Personal Leadership, True Professionalism, and Best-Self Leadership.
- Developed teaching models on the 7 Areas of Life, Empowerment, Hierarchy of Motivating Values, 7 Levels of Leadership, Leadership Best Practices, The Purpose of Life, Setting Achievable Resolutions, plus assessments of T.I.M.E., Attitude & Ability, Financial Fitness….
- Launched the Plan for School and Life (includes Plans for College and Life) initiative to promote people planning and improving plus to help educators help students write and internalize plans needed for college, career, citizenship. This boosts graduation rates.
- Provide Veterans Making Comebacks (recently homeless) planbooks & workshops to assess & develop plans to Master Goliaths.
- Longest-running organization in Alabama advancing Best-Self Leadership and Planning for Life.
Wrote and published Patriotism in Action after the “911” attacks on America, which we have since donated to the National Veteran of the Year, National Veterans Day, and schools.
Patriotism in Action + Freedom to Flourish…
After the “911” attacks on America in 2001–the Personal Leadership Association expanded to add Patriotism in Action, National Veterans Day Founding History Education, Freedom Lives/Freedom to Flourish…changed the name to Life Leaders America:
- Wrote and published Patriotism in Action, a patriotic guide featuring the history of starting National Veterans Day and 10 character traits teachers can use with students.
- Wrote and published Professionalism Under Stress to organize lessons from college, corporate, and combat for use in military and civilian life for true professionals, emerging leaders, and mentors—plus loved ones to understand what is expected in the profession of arms.
- Organize annually the Tribute to the Founder (“Driving Force” per President Reagan) of Veterans Day, Nov. 10, Birmingham (first event added to National Veterans Day traditions since 1947), held at the Weeks Monument in Linn Park, 2006-
- Led the campaign of education and legislation that restored Alabama’s legacy for starting America’s Veterans Day in 1947 by gaining U.S. Senate Resolution in 2012–correcting an errant resolution in 2003 by Congress that left Alabama out.
- Initiated the Advance Alabama campaign for contributions as the only state to have led on both of the national movements for Veterans Day and Civil Rights (Freedom of Liberty and Rights) as well as Birmingham’s opportunity to brand for “Freedom City” in addition to “Magic City” before the World Games 2021. Freedom to Flourish follows Freedom of Liberty and Rights when we teach students “how” and help them write plans for school and life to implement.
Organizational Development History Summary
- Institute launched 1988 after Dr. David Dyson completed doctoral studies in educational leadership at Vanderbilt University (research, publication, service) to advance Best-Self Leadership and Plans for Life in places of home, school, work, and worship
- Launched learning and improvement interest group with Johnny Johnson, Birmingham-Southern College VP Business, Summer 1991
- Founded Personal Leadership Association and expanded to monthly seminars and volunteerism for public, January 1992
- Incorporated with board of trustees, 1992
- Launched Patriotism in Action, Veterans Day Education, and Freedom Lives after “Sept 911” attacks on America, 2001
- 501 (c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization serving America based in Alabama since 2012 (expedited aided by Congressman Bachus).